In the previous article – Seven Tips for Choosing the Best Software ITSM – we initially perform a comparative table of options available to IT departments, IT managers or system administrator to identify the one that corresponds to needs related to the implementation of a service desk software. We will now look at an ideal service desk software can provide benefits as a business and some good practices surrounding these aspects.
Increase operational efficiency
Internal efficiency is central to all business issues. For IT support staff, customer service department or call center, this criterion is closely linked to the customer and the quality of services provided daily satisfaction. The optimization of response times, resolution times and other performance indicators through a properly planned internal coordination and the proper support tools. So how to improve the efficiency of support activities and management of internal / external requests? Here are some tips:
1. How to improve the effectiveness of my resources?
- Offer a self-service portal to your customers. This is the best way to unload your resources and increase customer satisfaction. They will be able to open a ticket, monitor and find solutions by themselves.
- More sharing your support team information, it will be more productive. You will find a program offering knowledge base, easy access to the historical notes and automation for routine tasks and escalations.
- Leveraging best practices like ITIL is also a good part of the success. These best practices are the basis for process definition and automation.
- The automation must also be optimized, particularly in the creation and prioritization of tickets as well as the management of requests, because we want that resources are more efficient and they tend to focus their time on initiatives aligned on business objectives.
2. How to improve our service levels?
- You want to minimize and prevent service interruptions; Your tool should support you in this direction by allowing you to measure the preventive maintenance operations and enabling administrators to understand and mitigate the effects of an event on infrastructure.
- The tool should allow you to “map” and model your IT infrastructure and services related to it. So you can effectively prioritize your investments and efforts.
- You also want your tool provides visibility to your service levels and allow you to analyze and improve these metrics.
3. Optimize Change Management. Possible?
Without having all the necessary tools, change management team continually implement risk changes that could have a negative impact on service levels. To avoid conflicts and possible downtime, your team needs an effective approval routine that your new application should be able to bring you.
Improve Support Service and Experience of Customers
As previously mentioned, a portal is a major asset in the management of requests. However, to really increase the satisfaction of your customers and adjust to the habits of users, the portal must be available on mobile devices (phones and tablets) and have a robust knowledge base enabling the user community to exchange and collaborate. Always keep in mind that the interface should be modern, easy to use and simple to navigate.
View your service levels on the portal will also help you manage the expectations of your customers. By collecting and measuring data, you improve the services and the quality thereof. IT is essential that your application offers dashboards and metrics that let you monitor your service levels. You’ll also need reports and alerts that allows your resources to concentrate on initiatives that have the greatest impact on your customers.
Mitigate Risks Checking
For many reasons, you want to be able to effectively track your licenses, your automatic renewal dates and other information required on applications or equipment you acquire. At any time, your software should offer you the ability to know your position and the relationships between different items in your inventory. You’ll be able to reduce costs of unnecessary licenses, minimize efforts related to information retrieval for audits and reduce the financial risks associated with non-compliance.
Reduce Total Cost of Ownership for Service Operations
To do this, you must make sure to eliminate custom code. Make sure the application that you purchase is sufficiently configurable to meet all your needs and you can have a unified interface through which you can handle all your queries and service requests.
Now more than ever, business performance depends on the IT performance, which is why ITSM capabilities of an organization are increasingly important. With the right type of platform service desk, IT organizations can leverage a solution that can improve service levels and user productivity, streamlining operations, the use of resources and maximize the support for the achieving critical goals for the company.